An alternative way to control your Fire TV is the official Remote App from Amazon. This article explains how to setup the App (available for iOS, Android and Amazon Hardware) and what features it has (with some bonus for Fire TV Stick users). Surely one of the best ways to control your Fire TV.
Voices search for Fire TV Stick and Keyboard input
Nice for Fire TV Stick users: You can use the voice search with the App and save the 30$ for an additional Remote with Voice capabilities (because the Remote with Voice Search isn’t included when you buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick).
If you like Keyboard input better than Voice Search or the virtual Keyboard on the Fire TV, all users can benefit from the Phone Keyboard (button in the upper right corner of the App). The Voice Button button only works for customers in the USA, UK, Germany, Austria, Japan and India.
How to use the Remote App
It’s very easy to use the Fire TV Remote App because it’s similar to the normal hardware Remote. Some people even say that this is the best way to control your Fire TV.
- Click / Tap on the pad to select an item (so the same as the round button in the middle of the Remote
- The navigation buttons from the Remote (up / down / left / right) aren’t clicks but swipes on the pad of the Remote App (see pictures).
How to pair a Remote App with Fire TV
You have to do the following steps to pair the Remote App on your Phone with the Fire TV (Stick):
- Make sure that the Phone with App and the Fire TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Launch the app and select your Amazon Fire TV
- Your TV displays a code. Enter this code on your Phone.
Done. You can see all of the remote apps that are paired with your Amazon Fire TV device under “Settings > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices > Fire TV Remotes”.
Do games work with the Remote App?
Of course, you can try to play games. But Amazon says: “The Fire TV Remote App is not designed to play games. Some games might work, but performance will vary. The app does not currently support Second Screen or Display Mirroring.” So if you really want to play games you should better use the regular Remote or the Gamepad (there are also Gamepad available for Fire TV). The Remote App isn’t the best for gamers.
Download links and supported OS
You can download the Remote Apps for the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick (1.4.1 or higher) here:
- Amazon Fire phone (Amazon App Store)
- Fire Tablets (with a microphone) (Amazon App Store)
- Android 4.0 or higher (Google Play Store)
- iOS 7.0 or higher (Apple App Store)
And the best is: You can try this for free – just install the App. If you don’t like it, you haven’t spend any money. And this kind of Remote doesn’t need any batteries.